It’s true, I’m still writing, though my writing blog has taken back seat to my food blog, not yet made public, “So Easy, A Zombie Can Cook It” (you may have noticed an accidental post on Wilted Winter Greens earlier this month). I’m hoping to have the blog public by fall, but I need to catalog a few more recipes, and they all need to be tested true, preferably with a pic accompanying each. Here’s a snapshot of my latest entry,
- 12 ounces coconut water
- 4-6 bite-sized chunks of pineapple
- 1/2 mango, peeled, about 2/3 cup
- 1/2 banana (the banana is needed for the tropical flavor of this recipe so wouldn’t work well to swap out with avocado, but maybe a spoonful of vanilla yogurt)
- 1/2-1 cup ice
Turn on Jimmy Buffet. Throw everything but the fingers into the blender and enjoy!
So, back to writing:
I’m kicking through some projects and starting new ones.
- New story. Just started and finished a short story that’s been brewing in my head for two years! I told myself that this was going to be the summer to finally write it. It is a little different from my usual, more fantasy than dark fiction, and takes place in an Aztec village in the 1500’s. Not really my thing, but the story persisted in a dark corner of my head and after letting it brew there for two years, 3 days and 4K words later, it turned out to be pretty damn nifty. Still no working title.
- Dark Island (formerly known as Terror on a Tiny Island, and if you know me, this will probably change again) – currently in the polishing phase. I was trying to meet a 6/30 deadline, but I really think it needs to cool another month before the last sweep through. It’s a bit of a thriller, subtle horror, and complete at 15K. Another one to hit submissions soon.
- The Dead in Two Creeks Forest (working title) – I’m 1/4 of the way through the 3rd edit, and it’s looking good so far at 65K. This is a classic horror with lots of characterization, and will hopefully hit submissions next spring.
- The Sickle Moon Tarot: short horror story, 6K. Completed in May, but I’m still undecided if I want to submit or self-publish this one. Better consult the oracle.
- Kate Waters, Book 3: I have only two written pages, 348 to go!, but will hit the 1st draft pretty hard this coming winter. No set publication date, though if it’s anything like the other two, roughly two years.
- Shortlisted works: I am keeping my submissions up as best I can. Lots of submissions equals increased chance of acceptances. Currently, I have 4 stories shortlisted with some exceptional markets, and another ten pending. Crossing fingers, toes, and knees.
On the home front:
What I’m reading: Stephen King’s Revival, John Ajvide Lindqvist’s Little Star, Richard Chizmar’s anthology, Dead Harvest, and all the usual mags, Nightmare, Apex, Black Static, The Dark, Lamplight, Clarkesworld, Fantasy Scroll, Grimdark, etc.
Also, it’s been beautiful in Portland. So much sun, I’ve a 100K new freckles, so it actually looks like I have a tan. This is the summer I’ve dubbed as ‘The Summer of Teeth’. Between our three, we’ve had one tooth pulled and lost 7 others so far. I’m not feeding them nails, but these three are of the sort that would probably eat them. Of course, all these teeth and bloody gums is only brewing another story.